Monday, July 29, 2013

Sarah Vowells writing style

Sarah Vowells' writing style is much different compared to any other authors that I have read.  I feel like the writing style made the book a little bit harder to understand during some parts, because of her different examples that she used to explain her understanding.  The reason I feel that her examples made it harder to understand what she was saying was because, if you don't understand her examples it makes it harder to understand the point she is trying getting across.  Such as when she talks about things that I may have never heard of and I haven't learned about yet, I would just kind of get confused, like there was some sort of inside joke that I was missing.  But on the other hand some examples that she gave actually helped my understanding of the historical events that she was talking about.  It seemed at some points I really could not understand what she was talking about and other points it made a lot of sense to me and the examples helped.  I guess that part of her writing style could be all open to perspective.  I really liked her sarcasm though.  I thought it gave the book a little bit of humor and a different feel when some parts just seemed very dry. I also thought that the story would shift around a lot and it was kind of hard to stay focused on one topic for very long because of all the different examples that she used  throughout the book.  This book had a very different feel to it because she didn't really have a set story line.  I really liked how it almost felt like she was having a conversation with you and it was almost just like whatever popped into her head she wrote down.  It  felt like it gave the book a genuine quality.  It didn't seem like she edited it a bunch of times to make it sound like an actually story, it almost seemed raw and uncut.  I really liked that about her writing style.  Even though her writing style was different compared to other authors it was still well written.

1 comment:

  1. I Defiantly think that the book had a genuine quality to it. The point you made "It didn't seem like she edited it a bunch of times to make it sound like an actually story, it almost seemed raw and uncut." I would like to point out that She is a Comedian and her writing style is conducive to that. She did turn certain parts of the book that could have been dry into meaningful connections and humours points.

    ReplyDelete